Young Scientist Competition
We would like to offer best wishes to Toby Tangney (Rang Niamh) Transition Year who is entering a project in the Technological Category of this year’s Young Scientist competition. His project “Sustainable Calculator” involves Toby developing a barcode scanning app that scores products based on their ‘sustainable impacts’ to help consumers make better informed choices when buying products.
Please note October Assessments will begin for all year groups on Monday 10 October until Friday 14 October. Inputting of results must be completed by Friday 21 October with results being shared through VSware the following week.
GCC Short Course – My Brain & Me: The Science of Learning
Last week in our Parents Update we provided a link to a recommended website (www.retrievalpractice.org) with information about the Science of Learning that parents and students may find useful. Today we are highlighting the website www.learningscientists.org which we hope you will find helpful. Further useful websites/resources will be included in the Parents Update next week.
Our Green Schools committee meeting took place on Thursday 6 October this week. Items on the agenda included:
- Generating a new student Green Team for 2022/23
- Aims & Objectives for the school year 2022/23
- Implementing our school environment sustainability policy – available on the school website
- Carbon Club competition within ETB schools – an initiative to save energy.
- Food waste study currently underway by a selection of TY students in conjunction with UCC
- Strategy to segregate waste and use recycling stations appropriately.
This year’s first meeting of the Student Council took place yesterday Thursday 6 October. Some Issues highlighted included:
- Consistent movement patterns for students using the stairs to avoid congestion
- Clarity around zones for breaktimes for 1st years and the use of their lockers
- Improving the Bathrooms – promoting cleanliness and proper use amongst students
- Access to study space for 5th year students for after school
- Explore the introduction of a greater range of hobbies during lunchbreaks
- Access to a quiet space during lunch times for 2nd/3rd years wishing to study
Father John Newman
Best wishes to Fr. John Newman P.P. who is leaving Glanmire Parish after 10 years of dedicated service to take up a new position as Moderator of the Bandon family of Parishes. Fr Newman has always been very supportive of our school in GCC. We thank him for his work and we wish him well in his new role.
Admissions – First Year September 2023
Last Monday 3 October 2022 GCC began accepting applications to 1st Year for September 2023. A link to the application is available here on the school website (link below). Closing date for receipt of applications is Friday 21 October.
Please click the following link to access the Admissions section on the website for more detailed information.
We hope you have a nice weekend.