A comprehensive career guidance and counselling service is available to all students. Elements of this service include:
- Individual career guidance
- Individual counselling
- Individual and group advice on subject choice
- Curriculum Vitae and interview preparation
- Visits to third level colleges
- Visits to career exhibitions
- Advice on study skills and examination technique
- Help with third level college applications
- Help and advice regarding applications for Post Leaving Certificate courses
Students are provided with one to one guidance and counselling sessions. Students also experience guidance in the classroom, offering them the unique opportunity to design and develop key skills for successful learning, self-organisation, study and CAO applications.
Third Level Colleges, Study Skills websites, etc
Important Dates and Events (C.A.O, U.C.A.S Admissions)
Some Third Level Colleges and Institutes of Further Education
- UCCcareer service homepage
- Information on all the programmes in UCC
- CIT homepage
- UL homepage
- Links to many good career videos on the UL website
- UCD homepage
- TCD homepage
- RCSI homepage
- DCU homepage
- UCG homepage
- Maynooth’s homepage
- DIT homepage
- NCAD’s homepage
- IADT Dunlaoghaire
- IT Carlow homepage
- WIT homepage
- IT TRALEE homepage
- Griffith College Cork
- Marino Institute of Education
- Mary Immaculate College LK
- St Pat’s Dublin
- Cork College of Commerce
- Coláiste Stiofáin Naofa
- St Johns College Sawmill St
- Find information on apprenticeships and employment services available through FAS
- Garda website including recruitment sections
- Information on careers in the Irish Army and Navy
- Information on careers in agriculture, horticulture etc.
- Failte Ireland is Ireland’s state tourism training agency
- Useful site on science careers
Some Useful Websites
- Qualifax – Ireland’s national course database. Provides information on points, subjects required and course content.]
- CareersPortal – A comprehensive Irish careers site, linked into the TY program.
- CAO – Central Applications Office for application to Universities and I.T.s.
waccesscollege.ie [site for students applying to the HEAR or DARE scheme]
www.susi.ie[site for accessing grants for third level]
http://www.careersnews.ie [site giving up to date labour market information]
- CoarseHub – Student based review of college courses. Please remember, you do not know what perspective the student who wrote the review is writing from. Make up your own mind based on your own research
- HPAT – Health Professions Admission Test – Ireland
- UCAS – UK equivalent of the CAO for applications to Third Level institutions in the UK. Early applications are necessary for Oxford Cambridge and medical related courses.
- BMAT Universities Admissions Aptitude site, apply late in 5th year for testing
- UKCAT UK Universities Admissions Aptitude site, apply late in 5th year for testing
- UNISTATS – Search, review and compare subjects at UK universities and colleges
- EUNICAS – A comprehensive site for information on European Universities
- LearnAbroad – A comprhensive site for information on European Universities
- Ploteus – European site with information on studying in the EU and other essential info for people moving to Europe)
- YourEurope – Citizens Info in Europe
- FullBright – Information on applying to University in the USA
- CambridgeAssessment – used by many European Universities
- Education – The Department of Education Homepage.
- State Examinations Commission. Find exam timetables and exam papers here.
- The careers service of UCC.
- The careers service of CIT.
- The careers service of TCD.
- Prospects – A good careers site.
- Postgradireland – For those of you thinking of one step beyond undergraduate.
- Online – A good careers site .
- UCAS – Stamford Test A useful careers inventory.
- Studentfinance – A useful site to tell you all about grants etc.
- Accesscollege- For students applying under the HEAR or DARE scheme.
- UCC – Helping students with disability going on to UCC.
- CIT – Helping students with disability going on to CIT Study skills.
- BBC – Helping you to get on with your study.
- SkillsIreland – Excellent guide to careers and the labour market in Ireland.
- CareerDirections – Excellent careers’ database established by Fás.
- Dyslexia – Dyslexia Association of Ireland.
- http://www.ucc.ie/dss [UCC Disability Support site.
- Education matters.
- Prospects – a good uk based careers site
- connexions – Career Database.
- The Student Room.
- UK Admissions Tests.
- Scoilnet – Online school support site.]
- Skoool – Online revision aid with interactive lessons, assessment questions and study notes.]
- Open – Open University Study Skills section.]
- Open – Open University Study Skills revision section.]
- UCC link to Virginia Tech study site.
Useful Sites for if you need a little emotional or social help
- http://www.yourmentalhealth.ie – mental health promotion
- http://www.notalone.ie[ Cork youth info centre 021 4270187]
- http://www.aware.ie[supporting people with depression]
- http://www.thecounsellingcentre.ie[Cork Counselling Centre, 7 Fr Mathew Street]
- http://www.console.ie[supporting those berieved through suicide]
- http://www.barnardos.ie[berevement counselling for children]
- http://www.ispcc.ie[Youth support & mentoring]
- http://www.nasouth.ie[ Narcotics Anonymous]
http://www.tusla.ie/ [ Child and Family Support Agency]